Tuesday, September 1, 2009

So many new things...



Hello, my faithful 15. I've missed you so. It's been such a fast summer! Has it flown by for you, too? So many things have happened in the last few weeks. At our last little chat, I mentioned I was having weight loss surgery. Well, let me tell you - it's the best decision I ever made. Everything is going well, and I feel great. Thanks to everyone who sent such nice wishes my way!

The studio is hosting a workshop on September 20th from 4-7 pm, on creating an Artist Statement. The cost is $35, and is limited to 7 participants. Writing about your work can be much harder than actually creating the art itself. If you plan on being a working artist (or even a working-at-a-coffeeshop-while-creating-art artist) you will need to have an Artist Statement. It will be fun and painless, I promise. Coffee included. :) Interested? Send an email and I'll send you the registration information.

We have a couple new additions to our home... a dog named Katie and a kitten named Zeke. The general response has been something along the lines of, "TWO new animals at once? Are you crazy?" And many different versions of, "But you're so NOT a dog person!" Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't let my kids wear shoes in the house, I don't let them eat in the living room, and I have a white couch. What was I thinking?? Apparently, that a black kitten and a REALLY furry dog would cure me of any remaining germ phobias. Seriously, though - it just seemed... right. We had researched finding the perfect dog - hypoallergenic, good with kids, etc. And we almost went the way of a breeder. It was more expensive, but we thought it would be worth it. Except I couldn't quite bring myself to do it. We kept looking at the animal rescue organizations' pages, and there are just SO many animals out there that need a home. We called about a few, but nothing really was just right. So we decided to go to one of the Petsmart adoption fairs, with Lost Dog and Cat Rescue. We saw one that looked perfect online, but the foster mom said that she probably wouldn't be good with a 3 year old. As we were watching them come out of the van, this furry little creature walks by us. We make the obligatory, "oh, aren't you cute!" coos and start to scratch her behind the ears, when she drops to the ground and rolls over to have us rub her belly. Well. Apparently, I'm quite easy. I fell in love right there on the spot. We did a kitty test (make sure that she wouldn't attack the kitten), and then brought them both home. The rest is history! Our plans: hypoallergenic non-shedding puppy from a breeder. Our result: a 30 pound, 5 (ish) year old, furry, somewhat stinky love mop. And we wouldn't have it any other way. (And Zeke, of course! Zeke is a black kitty who goes into crazy kitten mode at the drop of a hat. He's a total whackjob, and we adore him!)

If you're considering a pet, PLEASE look at adopting. The perfect dog is out there, just looking for you.

I'll be posting some client work from the last few weeks soon - stay tuned!

No comments: