Friday, March 9, 2007

Local Girl Makes Good!


Okay, so the title is a little corny, but that's how I feel about the print competition I just entered.

Last weekend (weekend before last?) I went to the annual VPPA state convention. The trade show was fantastic - I saw some really amazing products that we're going to be offering. Gorgeous albums, printed quilts, custom jewelry. Oh, and these beautiful huge canvas portraits - close ups of kids faces - that I just can't wait to do. Once again, my kids will have to be the guinea pigs while I try something new.

One of the things that I love about these conventions is the print competition. There were over 400 entries - all made by fantastic photographers. I entered six images in competition and received ribbons for everything. Five hung in the exhibit, and one image, Tough Guys, earned a blue ribbon and a merit seal. The four best images will continue on to the SEPPA convention and competition, and if they do well there, on to the national PPA competition, where I'm hoping to garner another merit or two (After earning 25 Merits, a photographer may earn his/her “Master of Photography” degree from the PPA. ) So, yeah, I'm pretty pleased.

The main reason I go to these conventions, though, is the education seminars. I'm always looking for ways to bring you better, more creative images, and who better to learn from than the pros? Again, I can't wait to incorporate some of the ideas from the seminars - it's going to be a great year!

No comments: