Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ch ch ch changes....

So is anyone else excited about the "DC Event" that will be happening on Tuesday?  I'm calling it that, because that's what the highway department is calling it, which I think is *really* funny.  (Seriously - the blinky signs on 395 say, "DC Event....take public transit".)  I love how they've taken what is the biggest thing to happen in this town in, well, just about ever, and reduced it to 'take public transit'.  It's so... understated.  And I just find that funny.  Because that's about the ONLY place that isn't buzzing with excitement.

The world hasn't changed.  We will still be in the same stinkin' war we've been in for almost as long as I've had children.  Our economy is doing about the same, and I don't think it's going to miraculously recover after Tuesday.  Bad things will still happen to good people.  And yet... it's different.  It just feels different.  It feels like how I imagine it feels when a war is over definitively.  When they announce it on the news and the radio.  We won.  We're coming home.  You can relax.  Everything will be okay now, and you can sleep soundly at night.  

And I think that it is a little bit of that.  But this wasn't so much a war between political parties.  It wasn't between any particular groups at all, really.  It was a war of cynicism and fear versus hope and faith in the possibilities of... of.... of possibility.   And finally, after years of hearing about how awful everything is and how we should be afraid of everything, finally, it feels like maybe it's okay to look for the happy ending after all.   Instead of looking down at your feet when you pass someone unfamiliar, you want to smile and say, "Hey!  how are you?"  It makes me want to buy the world a coke.  It's going to be a good day today.  And tomorrow.  And maybe even the next day.  

I really hope this feeling lasts.  I love this feeling.




No comments: