Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Say yes

Hi people!  All 14 of you!  Today we're going to talk about good things.  And, no, I don't mean Martha Stewart.  (An aside - have you noticed her magazine is starting to run out of ideas?  I swear, I keep expecting to see "21 Things To Make Out Of A Potato". )  No, I mean doing good things.  Which basically means doing things for someone else, when  there's nothing in it for you.  I don't think I do this enough.  It's so easy to get caught up in your own world, to expect everyone to live on  your timetable, to think the world revolves around you. (Because it does, right? Right!) But sometimes it doesn't.  And every once in a while, you're reminded that there's a big world out there, and if everyone helped just a little bit more, then that world would be a better place.  And isn't that what we all want, really?  (That and Colt's Chocolate Covered Marshmallows?)  It's what I want.  I want, at the end of the day (that day being about 50 years from now, please), to know that my children always felt loved, that I never betrayed anyone, and that, when given the opportunity to do something good, I took it.  I want to know that the world was generally a better place because I passed through it.   

So, philosophy aside... how does one do that?  By giving back.  By doing good things.  By saying yes.   Here are some folks we've said yes to lately.

CARE and Doctors Without Borders.  When they come asking for money, say yes.  These two organizations give more to help the world than anything else I know. 

Arlingtonians Meeting Emergency Needs.  A small local nonprofit that works with the County to help people stay healthy, employed, and in their homes.  

Down Syndrome Association of Northern Virginia.  I had a great time doing some portraits for their upcoming calendar.   Here are a few of my favorites:





Say yes.

3 comments:

Joshua said...

Upside down!! I love it!! Such beautiful pics, as always, Liz!

Barbi said...

LIZ!!! My cell phone is dead....I don't have your number with me. You have no contact info on your website or this blog....my mom's computer won't let me put Messenger on it and I"m stuck in in-law HELL!!! AND your link to Steff's website sends you to someone else's site. I need you to help me get on Stef's forum so we can chat! I MISS YOU!!!!
Barbi

Becca said...

Thank you for posting those shots, Liz, and thank you so much for donating your time and incredible talents to the DSANV calendar project! I'm just finishing up the layout now, and can't wait to get the finished product out there! The photos are absolutely wonderful.