Monday, July 28, 2008

Shhhh! Don't mention Santa!!!

So today was an interesting day.  Ian started Magic Camp.  I love camp.  Especially camps that run 9-3.  But Magic Camp.  How cool is that!  I just knew Ian was going to be so excited, and dying to show me his new tricks when I picked him up today.  Well.  Let's just say that there was a very large part of Magic Camp that I neglected to mention to him.  The camp counselor looked so worried when I walked in.  I asked how the day went, and he said, "There was a small problem."  

Uh oh.  

Apparently, when you tell a six year old they're going to learn magic at Magic Camp, you need to tell them that it's not *actual* magic.  He was really upset.  "It's just tricks!!" he shouted at me, as if I had just upset the universe.  The counselor said, "I felt awful, it's like I told him about Santa Claus!"  AAIIIIIEEEE!!!!   Nonononono!   The look on my face was enough to make HIS face drop immediately.  I very subtly (and very quickly) shook my head no.  "I mean, about how he gets such good deals on presents!" he said.  Danger averted.  Ian ignored the Santa slip.  Whew! 

It was bad enough at Easter.  We were driving home, and out of the blue he said, "I know there's no such thing as the Easter Bunny."  
What??  "Really?", I asked, almost squeaking.
"Yeah.  It's just a guy in a rabbit suit.  But don't tell anyone, because he'll get arrested."
Hahahaha.  "Um, okay."

Magic.  There's not enough of it in the world.  I want him to be able to hang on to it as long as possible.  I don't want him to know that Santa isn't real.  Not yet.  I want him to still have that belief that anything - ANYTHING - is possible.  

Well, almost anything.  I wish he'd stop asking for a baby brother.

Okay - photo stuff!

This week was the judging for the International Print Competition.  It's the biggie.  I entered State, did okay, entered Regionals, did not as well, and entered the International Comp, expecting to have wasted lots of money and time. 

And I was wrong!!  I got two merits!  You can enter 4 prints into the Photographic Open (there are other categories, too).   It's a thumbs up/down process - either it's good enough to hang and deserving of a merit, or it's not.  And that merit is NOT easy to get, believe me.  These are my first two.  It's very exciting for me.  Almost magical.  :)




2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Congratulations on your awards! A sign of things to come, I am sure.

Liz Vance said...

Hi Rachelle,

Thanks so much! That's so sweet of you to say!